Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bed Rest - Good Times

I have officially been put on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy...however long that may be so feel free to call me at home or email me at my Gmail address so that I don't lose my mind at home. Here is how I got here:

Last Wednesday I started having Braxton-Hicks contractions, which happened with Hannah so I really just tried to ignore them. At the same time though this little girl slowed her movement down and by Friday I wasn't feeling her powerful jabs, punches and turns. At first I figured she had just run out of room or the contractions were causing her to slow down but by Friday her movement was quite decreased. So I left work early and laid down to try and really concentrate on her movement and still not that much, so I called Labor & Delivery and of course they wanted me to come in. Adam and I went in and they hooked me up to the monitor and instantly we saw how many contractions I was having...which was quite a lot! I started to freak out and the nurse, while as sweet as she was trying to sound did not make me feel better with this statement, "Honey, we have had so many pre-term labors today that there seems to be a pattern. But no worries you are in the best place for preterm labor because we have a great NICU". I thought that is wonderful but I really don't want to give birth at 34 weeks! I was shaking I was so nervous and then they checked my cervix and discovered I was dilated 1cm. Now while that is not a lot I never dilated with Hannah, they had to induce me after my water broke so I was just freaked out in general that I was even dilated! They tried to convince me that it is normal for a 2nd pg to already be dilate and I could be this way for weeks but it still didn't help me. They decided to have me drink a whole bunch of water and check me again in 2 hours. So 2 hours later I was still 1cm dilated so they sent me home and told me to take it easy.

I did take it easy on the weekend but whenever I got up or when I went to work on Monday the contractions started again. I again tried to ignore them...yeah I know probably not the best thing but I called on Tuesday to hopefully try and get in to see my nurse practicioner. Instead b/c I was getting more the 4 contractions an hour I was sent back to Labor & Delivery to be observed. I did not want to go there b/c I knew it would be a many hour ordeal but I went. Luckily this time I stopped to get a book at the UCDMC gift shop because I was there for 5 hours! On Friday when Adam & I had been there we stupidly did not bring anything to read or entertain us and we were there for 4 hours. When we thought this little one might be coming that night we asked if they had a baby name book since we did not have name yet they laughed b/c while they thought that was a good idea they did not have one b/c it would probably get stolen...great. Anyway, yesterday when I was there they hooked me up to the monitor again and once again the contractions were registering often. This time they checked my cervix and I was now 2cm dilated...great!! The first thing the doctor said was we are taking you off work and you need to just be at home and rest. Since today I am 35 weeks along, while that is premature at this stage they would not try to stop my labor. Again they told me that I could be at 2cm for weeks but I said they told me that 4 days ago when I was at 1cm and now 4 days later I am at 2cm...they just kind of smiled. They gave me an IV bag full of fluids this time and that slowed my contractions down but did not stop them. They again re-checked my cervix and no change so they sent me home with orders to rest until this little one really decides to come.

So here I lay/sit wondering how long this will take. I am in no hurry for her to come b/c 35 weeks is way too early for me and for her too but I am going to lose it just laying here all day long. So fun times for me...write me with suggestions to keep me entertained and hope that she stays in for at least 2 more weeks! Luckily we have wonderful family that will be helping poor Adam with Hannah, which I am thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Oh my goodness - wow! I'm sorry you are on bed rest Nicole, that is very scary. I also hope your little one can hang out in there a couple more weeks. You need some good DVDs and books, and I, unfortunately, don't have any suggestions. Sorry!