Friday, September 12, 2008

My Daddy's a Fireman!

This week at Hannah's school they have been talking about "Community Helpers" and so they asked Adam if he could come in and talk about being a volunteer fireman and maybe get dressed up in his outfit for the kids. So Adam arranged to come talk to the kids at their afternoon circle time yesterday. Hannah was so excited all week that she was going to be her Daddy's special helper that day and yesterday morning when I dropped her off everyone was so excited that Hannah's Daddy the fireman was going to be coming by in the afternoon and Hannah was just glowing!

I of course went along to take pictures and I am so glad I did not miss this. When we got there all the kids ran up to Adam saying "Are you a fireman?"...he was like a celebrity! All the kids (from both preschool classrooms!)gathered around in a circle and Hannah and Adam were the center of attention. Now usually in circle Hannah is pretty quiet and reserved and I usually have to encourage her to answer questions if I am there for circle time...but not yesterday! Her teacher Miss Naomi started off by thanking Hannah for sharing her Daddy with the class and Hannah quickly cuts in "And my Mommy & baby too!". Here are a few pictures at the beginning when Adam still was not dressed up and just talking to the kids...you can just tell how proud Hannah is...she just kept squeezing Adam's arm, hugging him and smiling (the lighting was bad in the room and I think my batteries were low on my camera which doesn't make for the best pics):








Adam asked the kids if they knew what a firefighter did and he got some pretty standard answers...they put out fires, they rescue cats from trees...but my favorite was...if lock your kids in the car they help get them out...hopefully that kid was not speaking from personal experience!

As Adam started to slowly put on each piece of his fireman outfit he described to the kids why he wears each piece and the whole time Hannah was either reminding him not to forget this piece or that or just looking at him so happily.



At one point when Adam was almost finished Hannah jumped up and gave Adam a big hug and then hugged his arm...I just have never seen her like this...it was just too cute.



After Adam was done telling kids how a volunteer firefighter is different from a regular firefighter and how not to be scared of a fully masked firefighter if he comes to help you in a fire and giving them some important safety tips, I helped Hannah pass out some firefighter badges (stickers) to all the kids and the presentation was done. It was a huge success and Hannah has not stopped talking about it.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Oh my gosh!! That is to cute - I'm so glad you posted about it. That is really sweet that Hannah is so proud of her Daddy. Looked like a lot of fun!