Thursday, March 20, 2008

Deceptively Awesome!

As many of you know Hannah will not eat most fruits and vegetables. It is quite frustrating. She is an extremely picky eater...yes I know I am too but she is worse. For a long time I have been trying to figure out how to get her to eat more fruits & veggies and for a long time I have been meaning to buy "Deceptively Delicious" the cookbook Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry Seinfeld's wife) wrote about grinding up fruits and veggies into recipes. I finally bought it and read it. The first step is to puree the fruits and veggies you will be adding to whatever recipe you choose that week. I felt like Hannah was about 6 months old again b/c we use to make her baby food and puree fruits and veggies for her. The first recipe I attempted was chicken nuggets with a cup of pureed spinach in it. It is a really healthy recipe with flax seed and I was so proud of myself for making it b/c as many of you also know I do not cook. Hannah was so excited to have chicken nuggets that night but she did not know there was lots of spinach in it too! I gave it to her hoping she would like it and she loved it! She couldn't eat them fast enough! Literally at one point she had so many in her mouth she had to spit back some out on her plate...I know a lovely picture.
I was so pumped up from how well she ate the chicken nuggets with spinach that I decided to be super mom and make her applesauce muffins with carrots that night. The next morning Adam said she loved the muffins and said "Good job Mommy"...to cute. :) This morning I was having breakfast with her and again she was chowing down her muffin and she looks at me and says "Thank you Mommy for the muffin...good job". It was so cute. She started to ask for another muffin after she ate her first one but then realized she was full. Tonight I will be making mac and cheese (Hannah's favorite) from scratch with cauliflower. I am sure it will turn out just as good as the first two recipes. The great thing about this is that I am eating them too and I know that I am eating healthy as well...and they are very good...you don't even taste the veggies!

In other exciting news our bowling team "Up Your Alley" won the bowling tournament yesterday! Since October we have been competing against 15 other staff teams from around campus. There are two parts to the whole season and as some of you know our team won the first half in a bowl off against "The IT Crowd". So while playing in the second half of the season we knew that if we didn't win this half it would be ok b/c as winners of the 1st half we would play off against the winner of the 2nd half to determine the league champion. I guess we really slacked b/c we came in 5th the second part of the season but "The IT Crowd" came in 1st so it was another re-match against them for the grand champion. Yesterday we bowled against them pretty much evenly matched with our handicaps coming in...ours was 192 and theirs was 198...so they actually had the advantage. They apparently had practiced as a team during that week so we were a little nervous that we would lose. They also have their own bowling shoes and balls! We ended up slaughtering them! We beat them by over 90 points and I played my personal best score of 162! I am so excited! I started my first frame with a strike but my next 3 frames were terrible with a 1, 7 (split), and a 6. Then I got really mad and the rest of my frames I had either a strike or a spare...it was awesome! My team said they should have got me more mad the whole season. :) Anyway next week we have a potluck with all the other teams and we get awards presented to us. You bet I will post a picture of my trophy here next week and I will proudly display it in my office.

Last in a melt your heart moment this morning as I was leaving Hannah at school and saying good-bye I started to walk away and she was standing in the door way holding her teacher's hand she yells out to me "I love you Mamacita!! Have a good day!". It was so great because it was unsolicited...like I said it just melted my heart and made my day.

2 comments:

Tara said...

That's awesome! Now if only I can get Tom to eat something other than cereal. We'd be set too!

Christina said...

It's good to know that the cookbook recipes work ... I'll have to remember that. Congrats on your bowling victory!