Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Power of Santa Claus

On Saturday Hannah spent most of the day with Adam's Dad and his wife getting their x-mas tree, decorating it, and baking cookies. We arranged with them that when they dropped Hannah off they would stay a couple of hours longer and watch both of the girls so that Adam and I could go and see "The Blind Side" (highly recommend it!!). When we were getting ready to leave Hannah melted down...she did not want me to leave and I started to feel guilty since I had not been with her all day. Adam, being the quick thinker that he is, told Hannah that we have a conference call with Santa to talk to him about how our kids have been this year. Every parent has a time where they go and talk to Santa and that we had to go to our appt. Immediately the crying stopped and she was so excited that we were going to go talk to Santa Claus. Then she was even thoughtful enough to say, tell Santa Claus not to forget my sister Samantha and to get a bone for my other sister Tulip...so sweet! After that she was practically kicking us out of the door to go talk to Santa in our conference call.

The next day Hannah was behaving very poorly, and so Adam said I am going to call Santa and let him know about this horrible behavior. Again immediately the tantrum/crying stopped and she turned into an angel. Then yesterday morning Hannah was having a tantrum again (don't ask me what her deal is lately, I am blaming it on her surgery recovery and it better stop quick) and Adam pulled out the Santa card again...and once again she started behaving really well and said "Please don't call Santa!". About 10 minutes later after Adam had left for work, Hannah was watching "Caillou" on PBS and I picked up the phone to call Adam to tell him something and in a frantic voice Hannah asks "Are you calling Santa?!". I calmed her down and told her I was not, as I was laughing about the power of Santa Claus. It was actually quite amazing that she even saw me pick up the phone b/c usually while watching t.v. Hannah is in the zone and you usually can't get her attention for anything.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Quick thinking Adam! Guess you'll be out of luck after the 25th, right? :-)

aap said...

Great. Now she'll REALLY be crushed when she has to learn that Santa doesn't have a conference-ready phone.